About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother and businesswoman with a passion for life. I try to keep my priorities in life straight - Faith, Family, Friends. I love to try new and challenging things, spend time with friends and family, sew, embroider and laugh. I run a custom apparel decorating business from my home. I enjoy spending time with my grandchildren.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sleepless night

July 11, 2011

I had a hard time sleeping last night.  I was awake most of the night.  This explains why I am at my computer screen at 4:17 a.m.  2 hours have passed and I am still wide awake.  It sort of reminds me of  31 years ago.  I had a difficult time that night, too.

I shook Rick, my husband of 5 years, and whispered, "I think I'm in labor."


"It's 2:30 in the morning.  Can I sleep for a few more hours?"


"Well, I guess, the contractions aren't 5 minutes apart yet.  So, yeah, go back to sleep.  I'll wake you if they get closer."

Rick settled back to sleep in no time, but I dosed, counted the tightening of my tummy and waited.  About 6 a.m. I shook him again.

"Let's leave the house before Dean gets up.  He'll cry when I leave."  

Eric, age 3, would be okay, but our toddler, Dean at 18 months, was sure to wail when I left. To sneak away while they slept seemed like a good option.  Our babysiter had joined our household earlier after a phone call, so we dressed quickly and left the house by 6:30.   We stepped into the hospital just as the day shift was arriving.  The elevator was filled with white uniformed ladies heading to their destinations for the day.  Seeing Rick and I, one gal asked if I was checking in and was I in a hurry?

  "No," I replied with the voice of experience, "the contractions are 5 minutes apart, but I don't have any pain at all.  I'm sure it will be hours yet, so we can wait for the next one."


After stopping at the desk in the labor and delivery wing of the hospital we settled into a room about 7:15 a.m.  A middle aged nurse did an initial exam and blurted out with a panicked expression, "You are ready for delivery! "  and I was wisked away to the next destination.  Robert Hedican, M.D., my favorite of the OB/Gyn Partners was pulling on his mask and  head wrap just as the doors to the delivery room opened and I was wheeled into position.  The team of nurses scrambled around the room, each carrying out their appointed task.  I, meanwhile, chatted with Rick and Dr. Hedican.  When all things were ready, I was given the go ahead, "You can push now."


"Can I wait through a few more contractions to see if I get a pushing one?" 

My question to my bewildered doctor was answered with, "You want to wait?"

"Yeah.  It's easier to push with the right contraction.  I'll wait to for the right one."

I don't think that happened very often to this young doctor, but he agreed and the conversation started up again.  The earlier deliveries of my young sons had given me the experience to know the difference in stages of labor.  After one more set of 'labor pains' with the emphasis on labor this time and not pain, the time was right and at 7:37 a.m., after less than 20 minutes in their care, I was the mother of a beautiful, brown haired, tiny miracle.  Kathy Lea tipped the scales at a mere 6 pounds, 3 ounces.  She was so petite, every miniature body part was perfect.  A painless labor and delivery was part of the amazing package deal.

 My little girl.  I had a daughter after 2 boys.  


And so I began the next stage of the journey called life.

Happy 31st Birthday, Kathy Lea.  I am so glad you are my daughter.  Together we have learned so much about each other, our faith, the world and how to deal with the things life hands us.  I am so proud of you.

1 comment:

Freedom Writer said...

Love it! I am soo happy to have parents like you and Dad! By the way, I set my alarm for 7:37am today. :)