About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother and businesswoman with a passion for life. I try to keep my priorities in life straight - Faith, Family, Friends. I love to try new and challenging things, spend time with friends and family, sew, embroider and laugh. I run a custom apparel decorating business from my home. I enjoy spending time with my grandchildren.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

SewNSow

I live at Sew-N-Sow Lane E or Sew -N-Sow Lane N.  Perhaps if you have visited me you noticed our street signs.  Sewing, or is it sowing? Rick and I ordered them years ago with Christmas money.  So what do they mean?   What is it that I do?   Here's  a multiple choice question.  You have one minute.  Ready, Set, Go.

A.  Sewing - the art of cutting apart fabric and putting it back together in a new piece.  Used to create items.  Or as the dictionary states:
sew  (s)
v. sewed, sewn (sn) or sewed, sew·ing, sews
v.tr.
1. To make, repair, or fasten by stitching, as with a needle and thread or a sewing machine: sew a dress; sew on a button.
2. To furnish with stitches for the purpose of closing, fastening, or attaching: sew an incision closed.
 
B.   Sewing to complete something
sew up Informal
1. To complete successfully: Our team has sewn up the championship.
2. To gain complete control of; monopolize.
3. To make sure of: campaign strategists who were trying to sew up the election results.
a needle and thread or with a sewing machine.
  (source:  http://www.thefreedictionary.com)
 
C.   Sowing - scattering of seed, to spread over a large area
sow 1  (s)
v. sowed, sown (sn) or sowed, sow·ing, sows
v.tr.
1. To scatter (seed) over the ground for growing.
2. To spread (land, for example) with seed.
3. To strew something around or over (an area); distribute something over.
4. To propagate; disseminate: sow rumors.
v.intr.
To scatter seed for growing.


If you chose, "D", all of the above you are correct.  Congratulations. 
 Sewing is has been a hobby of mine since I was twelve years old.  My first project was a pair of  bright pink and white striped pajamas.  My older sister, Audry, was an avid seamstress at the age of nineteen and decided to share her love with me.  I still remember stitching the crotch seam all the way to the hem of the pants and her laughter as she saw my "lovely work".  I mastered the task of ripping out quite early in my career.  I managed to complete them and wore them until they were beyond rags.  
   Two years later I entered high school, and all freshman girls were required to take  Home Economics class.  When it came to sewing skills I was sure I had them all.  After all, I HAD made my own pajamas two years earlier, and a quilt for eighth grade history class.  So I cut my out my sleeveless dress using a pattern. Yes, I said dress, I made a dress.  Back in those days, slacks were not allowed as part of our dress code.  It was skirts or dresses.  But I hurried through, thinking I knew what I was doing.  It was a pitiful dress.  The facings were bulky and didn't lay neatly and smoothly.  I was sure I would never wear my atrocity.    Final grade: C minus.
  That was the last C minus I ever received in my life.  It was a slap in the face and a wake up call to reality.  There is always something new to learn.  And so the quest to educate myself was instilled down deep.  No matter how much knowledge I have acquired, there is always more to discover, ways to hone my skill.
   Stitching my own clothing became a hobby of mine.  Without the funds to purchase fabric, my mother and I went to  thrift stores and purchased old skirts.  I took them apart, using the skills instilled in me by Audry, and remade them into new stylish items.  By the time I graduated high school I was making my own jeans, tops, etc.  By then, the dress code changed to allow slacks.  Dresses became a thing of the past for me.
   My first major purchase after graduation was my own sewing machine.  In college I used my skills to earn extra cash by doing mending for the girls on my floor.  I continued to sew for the pure pleasure and graduated from my own clothing to my family's things, for marriage and family came quickly in my life.  During those early days of our marriage my sewing contributed to the family budget.  I created everything from our underwear to jackets and everything in between.  I used to say I only bought our socks, shoes and winter coats.  I learned the art of finding bargains and could squeeze a family of six clothing needs out of six hundred dollars per year.
   My love of sewing never waned and I am moving back into designing and creating my own clothing and my grandchildren.  As my embroidery business slows down, due to my choice, my sewing will become more prominent again.

I also like to sew things up, in the sense of finishing projects.  I have lots of things I love to do, decorating my home with items of meaning to me, quilting, gardening, cooking and sometimes cleaning.  I get a great deal of satisfaction in a project completed and well done.  

Lastly, I love to sow.  Jesus called his disciples to be fishers of men, to sow his seeds of love and devotion to Him as the walked their journey of life.  Taking the knowledge instilled in my  walk on this earth and sharing it with others brings me joy.  Sometimes I haven't enjoyed the 'education' I have been given, but as I finish my course, I see the ways I am asked to sow for the Lord.  
   NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) comes to mind.  I spent yesterday afternoon sharing this wonderful organization with strangers at a health fair.  Sowing the seeds of understanding to the hurting.
   CEW (Christian Experience Weekend)  I have received many blessings as I worked these weekends, sowing the Holy Spirit, Jesus, and reflections of them working in my life.   
   TEC (Teens Encounter Christ)  A weekend for high school seniors.  I have spent more of them with youth than I can count.  I always come away feeling so awesome to be used to sow the seeds of faith with our next generation.
  And last, but not least, is sowing seeds of faith and love in everyday situations.  The brief conversations with check out clerks, customers, family, friends are an opportunity to sow the message of our Lord, without preaching.  A touch, a smile, an understanding nod, to listen to them with all my being, is a way to spread His message and for this I am grateful to be a part of His plan. 
  
 

1 comment:

Jessica said...

For the daughter of a pork producer, it's hard to see "sow" - and not think of the 300-500 pound mother of piglets.