About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother and businesswoman with a passion for life. I try to keep my priorities in life straight - Faith, Family, Friends. I love to try new and challenging things, spend time with friends and family, sew, embroider and laugh. I run a custom apparel decorating business from my home. I enjoy spending time with my grandchildren.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Summer Lovin'

Tis the season for fresh veggies and I am in love.  My little square of heaven is producing a bountiful crop and is the best garden I've had in more years than I can count.

My garden had a late start due to my foot surgery and recovery time.  This spring was warm and beautiful and many vegetable crops were planted early.  Some folks were already eating radishes before I had my seeds out of the paper bag. 

One sunny day my brother, Larry and his family helped me sow the seeds.  Michael, Carly, Jane, Larry, Rick and I headed out to my back twenty foot square field.  For the past few years Rick and I have been building raised beds.   Rick got the backhoe and filled the bucket with good black soil and added it to the existing boxes of soil.  We all grabbed a shovel and worked the soils together.  In a few short hours we had butternut squash, carrots, swish chard, spinach, green beans, and mesclun seeds in the ground.  The plants also got their toes in the dirt - tomato, both sweet grape and celebrity, sweet peppers, broccoli, and brussel sprouts.  Michael did an awesome job of watering everything daily until all the plants were well established. 

I soon realized I needed at least one more spot for sweet potatoes.  In the past Rick fashioned my raised beds out of re-purposed lumber from the farm.  But, since Rick was in the thick of field work and fighting off kidney stones,  I didn't want to ask him for help.  Consequently,  a big box lumber yard got my money for a prefab raised bed.  I filled the square with a nice mix of soil, etc and my sweet potato plants had a new home.

As the lazy(?) hazy days of summer passed, giving my garden spot a drink became a daily event.  The days were so hot and dry, they plants were quite thirsty.  I also took my sacks of shredded paper and tucked the plants in bed with a nice coverlet.  The combination of raised beds, mulch and dense plants made the task of wedding almost non existent. 

Pule, Carly, Michael in front of our little piece of heaven.
As autumn approaches the fruits of our labor are readily apparent.   When the time of day arrives for meal preparation, we scamper to the garden and choose the ripe veggies, lay them in my basket, wash, cook and eat.  There is nothing finer than eating food I have grown immediately after harvest.  It was so worth any effort we put into it.





Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  Galations 6:9



No comments: