About Me

My photo
I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother and businesswoman with a passion for life. I try to keep my priorities in life straight - Faith, Family, Friends. I love to try new and challenging things, spend time with friends and family, sew, embroider and laugh. I run a custom apparel decorating business from my home. I enjoy spending time with my grandchildren.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Oh, Fudge!


My hubby loves fudge. Each year at Christmas, I make one batch of fudge, his yearly treat. I hear it is good. I will take his word for it - I'm unable to eat chocolate in any shape or form. One morsel and I can except a headache for at least two days. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I decided many years ago it is not worth it.

Christmas 2014 Fudge and one of my grands
Sometimes family traits are passed on through genetics, so it must have happened with his "I love fudge" gene. Our granddaughter adores chocolate. Which is why I have begun making fudge more than once at year. She looks for any occasion to cook a batch of fudge. She turns nine this week and loves the process of creating: fudge, cookies, casseroles, crafts and messes. One day we hope she will enjoy the reverse process and clean up after she is finished. But that is another blog on another day...

Recently she asked if we could make fudge to share with her classmates for her birthday. Of course, I agreed - I look forward to spending time with my grandchildren, for any reason.

But, this week, when we should have joined culinary forces, I had a different priority: my mom. She has been ill and all my attention was turned to her. Mom is making progress in her recovery, but let's just say it was a week I would rather not repeat any time soon. It's distressing for her and a concern for me.

As a result, the process for making the rich, chocolate confection did not make an appearance on my "list of important things to do" until last night, following a concert at school.

After my coffee, I delivered it to my granddaughter's house early this morning and was paid generously with hugs.

Here is my favorite recipe, given to me many years ago by my friend, Ann.  Thanks, Ann!

Fudge:
Measure 4 and one-half cups of white, granular sugar in a heavy pan.
Add 12 ounces evaporated milk.
Bring slowly to a rolling boil, then boil for exactly eight minutes.

Remove from heat.
Add 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate morsels
8 ounces miniature marshmallows
1 stick butter
1 tsp real vanilla extract

Stir until melted.
Add 2 cups broken English walnuts (optional)

Pour into buttered 9 x 13 cake pan or two 8 x 8 pans.

Cool, cut, enjoy. Unless of course your body doesn't appreciate chocolate. In that case, make it for someone else and make them extremely happy.

No comments: