“If it is to be, it is up to me.”
I have been tossing the idea of a fund raiser for Brain Health Research for several years. The first time I heard about NARSAD (now Brain & Behavior Research Foundation) and what it did, I knew it would be one of my favorite causes. I loved the fact that 100% of donations go to funding scientists and doctors to study the brain. In the last 6 years I also have discovered most of our population is affected in some way with Autism, ADHD, OCD, PTSD, Schizophrenia, Depression or Bi Polar. Almost every family I meet is dealing with at least one of these areas. Yet, this foundation is a pretty well kept secret.
I decided it is time to change this.
There are 11 letters in the two words brain health. When I realized this, I knew my idea for a fund raiser had to happen this year.
If it is to be, it is up to me. So I have begun planning an ‘11’ party/fund raiser. The date, of course, will be 11-11-11. I will capitalize on the number 11, use, overuse, and probably abuse it.
The first item on my agenda to make this happen: get some others on board to help me. I hope to enlist the help of ‘11’ people, including myself, and form a committee. At the time of this writing, I have 4 great members. We will meet each month until 11-11-11 on the 11th at precisely 7:11 p.m.
Next item – rent the hall to hold this spectacular event. I have begun this process.
Other ideas I have rumbling around in my brain:
- Sell advance tickets for $11. Tickets will also be available at the door. Get the ticket printing donated.
- Offer a simple, but delicious homemade meal for $11. Get all ingredients donated.
- Sell t-shirts that promote Brain Health awareness for $11. Get the t-shirts donated.
- In conjunction with the meal, have a bake sale. Plates of cookies, cupcakes, etc will contain ‘11’ instead of 12. Of course, all baked goods will be donated.
- Have a silent auction, asking donations from local businesses, craftsmen and anyone who wishes to donate.
- Have information tables with free literature on different areas of brain health or brain disorders, such as NAMI organizations, etc. Basically, ‘Where to turn for help if your family is affected.’
- Sell Silver Ribbon campaign items.
- To help defray expenses, ask business and individuals for a donation of $11. Extra money will be donated.
Ready, Set, GO!
Let’s have a party.http://www.BBRFoundation.org