My hubby loves fudge. Each year at Christmas, I make one batch of fudge, his yearly treat. I hear it is good. I will take his word for it - I'm unable to eat chocolate in any shape or form. One morsel and I can except a headache for at least two days. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I decided many years ago it is not worth it.
|Christmas 2014 Fudge and one of my grands|
Recently she asked if we could make fudge to share with her classmates for her birthday. Of course, I agreed - I look forward to spending time with my grandchildren, for any reason.
But, this week, when we should have joined culinary forces, I had a different priority: my mom. She has been ill and all my attention was turned to her. Mom is making progress in her recovery, but let's just say it was a week I would rather not repeat any time soon. It's distressing for her and a concern for me.
As a result, the process for making the rich, chocolate confection did not make an appearance on my "list of important things to do" until last night, following a concert at school.
After my coffee, I delivered it to my granddaughter's house early this morning and was paid generously with hugs.
Here is my favorite recipe, given to me many years ago by my friend, Ann. Thanks, Ann!
Measure 4 and one-half cups of white, granular sugar in a heavy pan.
Add 12 ounces evaporated milk.
Bring slowly to a rolling boil, then boil for exactly eight minutes.
Remove from heat.
Add 18 ounces bittersweet chocolate morsels
8 ounces miniature marshmallows
1 stick butter
1 tsp real vanilla extract
Stir until melted.
Add 2 cups broken English walnuts (optional)
Pour into buttered 9 x 13 cake pan or two 8 x 8 pans.
Cool, cut, enjoy. Unless of course your body doesn't appreciate chocolate. In that case, make it for someone else and make them extremely happy.