Wednesday, February 29, 2012

gifts

If you then, who are wicked, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good things to those who ask him.
Matt: 7:11


     One of my favorite things to do each week is pick up two of my grandchildren after school.  We drive to a neighboring town where my granddaughter participates in dance class. 

     I was asked by someone yesterday, "Why is dance class for a five year old so important that you are responsible for taking her all the time?  Why don't her parents?"  My answer, without hesitation,"I volunteered for this job.  It is my choice.  As a matter of fact, I suggested it last spring.  It is her birthday gift from me.  Rather than spend money on a toy that she probably doesn't need, I decided to give her my time.  Her parents pay for the classes and I take her there each week.  Her gift lasts all year long."

      If truth be told, I am the one receiving the gift.  This grandma job (Grammie, as they call me) is one of the best positions I have held yet.  Where else could I show up for the job on my schedule and be loved just for arriving?  My presence hasn't been this exciting to another being since we had a loveable dog named Snoopy.  He was ALWAYS  glad to see me!  I have been told she looks forward to this weekly outing as much as I do.  At first it was just my granddaughter and I each Wednesday afternoon.  But since she switched schools this semester, we have expanded our twosome to a threesome to include her older brother. 

     One pleasure is the car ride.  We usually keep the radio off and talk. We discuss what is on their mind. Sometimes I hear the best secrets on that stretch of highway.  They know their thoughts are safe with me.  Last week we were talking about secrets.  I told them unless their secret harms someone, I can be counted on to keep it to myself.  My eight year old grandson picked up on that.  He commented that if an adult is being mean to a kid and asks them to keep it a secret, it must be told.  Sort of like if an adult was being a bully.  He went on to exclaim that could never be me.  And that I treat people nice.  And the icing on the cake, "Why Grammie, you are one of my favorite people in the whole world."  See what I mean.  I get more than I give.


     We make up games we can play while we drive.  Sometimes it's math, spelling, rhyming, synonyms, antonyms, etc.   We talk about books, sports (soccer) and their friends.  We usually find a reason to get silly.  Last night it was bananas.  Who thought that yellow, crescent shaped fruit could be so funny? One of the best sounds in the world to me is the sound of my grandchildren enjoy a huge belly laugh.

    While dance class is in session, my grandson and I use that time to play hangman, Yahtzee or tic, tac, toe.  The last few weeks we have invited other siblings waiting for their sister to join in the fun.  It is so fun to sit on the floor,  play games and give high five congratulations to each other on a successful game.   Last week we multi-tasked.  We colored a poster and played Yahtzee at the same time.   I think we all look forward to that forty-five minutes.

    Gifts, we give them, we get them.  I have found, the more I give, the more I get.  I love gifts.

1 comment:

Bob and Ruth Kremer said...

I am loving your blog....check it out every day!