Tuesday, February 28, 2012

To forgive

Luke 6:36-37 (New International Version)

36 Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.  37 “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
 
Sometimes I get so upset with others.  I can't understand why they do the things they do.  Or why they say the things they say.  I feel the pain that has been inflicted on a loved one.  Sometimes I want to grab them by the shoulder and shake them.  'STOP IT!  Can't you see what that is doing to them?'
 
But that is not my job.   I must learn to first look at myself.  I must examine my own actions and remember the times I have hurt others.  And ask first for forgiveness for myself, with a resolve to not be a repeat offender.  I must think before I speak and act.  This will take a lot of self reflection, and self control.  I must also not beat myself up over my mistakes.  Do my best to correct them, learn from them and move on.
 
Next, I need to pray for myself,  for the grace to forgive them.  Jesus gave me the example to follow.  Forgive them and pray for them.  It was a command, not a recommendation.  So I need to pray for them, forgive them, treat them with respect and compassion as I encounter them in situations.  It is pretty hard to stay mad at someone when I pray for them each morning.
 
Do not judge.  Forgive.  Pray.  I think there was a book and a movie called, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.  I haven't read it or seen the movie, but I will  try very hard to 'Pray, Love, Forgive'
 
 

No comments: