Friday, January 13, 2012

Progress continues bye, bye bunions

It seems I have initiated a new routine.  .  Thursday morning found me bright eyed and bushy tailed before five.  I wheeled to the kitchen and made my lazy latte.  Early morning is my favorite time of day.  After devotions,  I began reading a new book, Papa's Wife, copyright 1955.  (That was a great year!) My mom loaned me the series of three.  One of my goals during this recovery was to read more.

I found too much wheeling and dealing with TLC, gave me back spasms so I spent the majority of the day on my perch.  Rick, my favorite fix it man, adjusted the height on TLC and it helped some.  Thursday became one of the days before Christmas because I spent the majority of the day writing notes on our annual Christmas letter.

At noon I ventured to the kitchen.  Withdrawal had set it.  Out came my cast iron skillet, an onion, chef knife and cutting board.  It didn't take long to slice, dice and saute the onion.  Oh the smell that tickled  my sniffer as I stirred and smiled.  It felt so good!  I finished one of my favorite ways to fix spinach and popped the dish into the oven.

Rick ran business errands all morning and came in hungry for left over roast and vegetables, courtesy of sister-in-law, Sally. That was fine with me. "No problem, my spinach can be my supper."  The meal of roast beef, potatoes, carrots, and cabbage tasted as good as the first time around

I wheeled myself to my shop for a bit in the afternoon.  My booted foot rested on my desk as I answered the phone and caught up on a bit of paperwork.  Soon, the couch called my name and I was quite happy to answer it.

Thursday was a pretty quiet day.  The snow sprinkled whiteness all day and the wind was intent on spreading the love around.  It was a good day to stay inside and be glad I had no reason to go outside.

I enjoyed my evening meal of spinach casserole, followed my dessert of fresh apple dipped into my favorite fruit dip: low-fat vanilla yogurt blended with peanutbutter.  

I had a bit of pain in my left foot in the afternoon.  Probably because I spent more time in a vertical position than previous days and also I began my foot exercises.  Bend, rotate, repeat.  It wasn't enough discomfort to pop a pill, just enough to let me know to 'go slowly'.
 
After such an exhausting day, the sandman came for a visit shortly after eight.

Spinach Casserole:
15 ounces fresh spinach
1/2 onion, diced
1-12 oz carton low fat cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
Olive oil
Saute onion in small amount olive until softened and brown.  Add spinach and stir until it is wilted.
In a small bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese and shredded cheese.  Add spinach/onion mix and pour in an oiled casserole dish.  Bake for one hour in a 350 degree onion or until set.  Enjoy.

Fruit Dip:
Three Tablespoons LowFat/Sugar Free Vanilla Yogurt
1 heaping teaspoon natural peanutbutter.
Blend until well mixed.  Enjoy with fresh apple wedges, banana slices, or your favorite fresh fruit.

No comments: