Sunday, January 8, 2012

Saturday, Day 3 of 'Bye, Bye, Bunions!'

Saturday morning of this journey was delightful.  Rick brought two of our three grandchildren here to keep my company.  After many gentle snuggles from both of them, Cavanaugh helped Rick prepare my breakfast.  She did question Rick on why he couldn't do it by himself if I gave him the directions.  Anyway, she directed him as he measured one half cup frozen blueberries into a bowl and defrosted them for two minutes, forty-five seconds.  Meanwhile, walnuts were chopped to the precise size.   Yogurt, along with the walnuts, rolled oats and a teaspoon of cinnamon were added to the defrosted berries
'Here, Grammie, you can mix it yourself.',  my five year old granddaughter smiled with confidence as she handed me my breakfast bowl.  She skipped back to the kitchen to make her own 'special'  breakfast.

Pain level this morning was at a zero -one.  As long as I kept my left foot elevated above my hip, my appendage felt better than before the surgery.  Rick remembered he had a meeting with family, but was concerned about leaving me alone.  I assured him I would not be alone, I had the grandchildren as company.  He left with my blessings and the three of us settled in to watch "Happy Feet" as we consumed potato chips, raspberries, graham crackers, peanuts, pistachio nuts, and apples.  Empty tummies and 'Grammie's house' seemed to go hand in hand with those two.  By the time Eric and Trela, their parents,  arrived with all the fixins' for lunch, they were full.  I hadn't attempted to eat my way through the movie, so I thoroughly enjoyed the made to order panini sandwich.  After they cleaned the kitchen, I was left with my couch, pillows and blankets.  Even my Saturday afternoon sewing programs on public television could not keep my eyelids from shutting out the world.  I slept the afternoon away. 

Rick returned late afternoon and took over the next kitchen chore, our evening meal.  Sam's Club and Rick did a great job of baked tilapia and sweet potato fries for me, and chicken strips with regular fries for himself.  It was delicious.  It wasn't long until my need to watch television through my eyelids took over and I was soon asleep for the night.  Pain level was so low I forgot to take the two prescribed Celebrex before bedtime.

Recipe:  Breakfast Bowl (the Grammie Special)
1/2 cup frozen blueberries, thawed
1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt or low fat, low calorie yogurt
1/4 rolled oats, uncooked
.5 ounce chopped walnuts
1 tsp ground cinnamon,  may also add 1 tsp ground flaxseed
Mix and enjoy.

Recipe:  Lazy Latte
1 cup skim milk, heat in microwave until hot.
3 squirts or 2 tablespoons sugar free coffee syrup
2 rounded teaspoons instant coffee
boiling water to fill the mug.

No comments: